Tuesday, September 20, 2005

In The Begining

whenI came to start the exhibition six years ago. I did so with the help of friend and fellow photographer Craig.

The exhibition was my baby. My idea. Having a second person helping would certainly take a little of the strain from the work load I had forseen on the mile during the Festival.

Year two and we became official. The pub had raised the cash to get us an entry in the Fringe guide. And as luck would have it we got reviewed. A fantastic review in the British Journal of Photography. Not bad for a couple of ameutur photographers. I was on the High Street when I got a phone call from the pub, it was Maggie,
"Hi Andrew, we've just had someone in to see the exhibition, he wants to talk to you."
Nigel Shuttelworth, I'm in Edinburgh covering the photographic Exhibitions at the Fringe for the BJP. Your work is great, you really just shoot and use what you get, it's amazing.
"Yes there's nothing really corrected in any way I just don't have the time, and some of what you see might not be the best of our work, because we promise people photos will be on display."
"You promise people shots."
"Yes, theatre groups, street performers, they can come down and try and find themselves, so glad you like what we do."

The review was great. A tag line for any photographer. "One of the finest examples of street photography."

I could have given up then.

I ended up last year working alone, probably because I'm to hard a task master. Looking for to much, when you only get photographs as your reward. But for me that has always been reward enough.

All photographs © Andrew Brown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home